Friday, October 14, 2011

Entry 7- 11.6.11

Dear Journal,

Whenever you know that one of your really good friends is going to do something that you KNOW is going to get them into trouble, or that is wrong, what do you do? In today's post, I'll answer just that.

1. Tell them; being their friend, you want to talk to them about it and tell them that what they are doing is not okay. Explain to them everything that makes it wrong, and maybe some of the consequences. A "Pro-Con" chart would be perfect for this; just draw one out and sit there with them, gathering some ideas together so that they can see for themselves how much of a bad idea it would be for them to do whatever they are planning on doing.

2. Provide alternatives; say their only focusing on how much fun this high school drinking party would be;   mention a few alternatives to doing it. For instance, instead of going to this party that is incredibly inappropriate, suggest a get together at a rollerskating rink or maybe a trip to the mall over the weekend; something to replace the party that's equally as, if not more, fun.

3. Talk to a counselor; If you don't know how to approach your friend, or they aren't receptive to what you are saying, take a trip down to your school counselor. You don't have to even give them the specifics, or your friends name. Just say, "my friend is in trouble and I don't know how to help her." I'm sure they would be too happy to help you out, maybe even doing a partner session with you and your friend to help you to change their mind.

4. Tell an adult; if push came to shove and nothing else seems to be working, you need to notify an adult. Sure, you don't want to get your friend in trouble, but you also don't want them to get in MORE trouble for actually doing something bad. I remember one time, during a state test, I knew that two of my friends were cheating, but I obviously didn't want to get them in trouble. But when the teacher came to me, asking me if I knew anything about them cheating, I decided to go ahead and tell her (anonymously) what I knew. Even though it was hard for me to see my two good friends in such huge trouble, I know that I did the right thing and that they will benefit from it. In fact, I was told by my teacher afterwords that if I was caught hiding this from her that both their AND my test would have been disqualified, even though I didn't cheat. So, as you can see, telling someone about it could not only save them, but save you from trouble.

Sometimes your friends are in a different type of trouble, such as certain family issues, loss of a friend, or maybe even just a tough day. These four things could be applied as well, just alter the steps to work with whatever situation that they are in, and it should work just fine :-) Happy blogging!

Love Always <3,
Katrina Lowell

No comments: