Monday, October 3, 2011

Entry 3- 10.1.11



Dear Journal,


I know how hard it is to make friends sometimes, especially when you aren't really familiar with the other people. I, of all people, should know since I have moved to different places and started new schools twice so far. In fact, I am in the middle of a huge move to another country right now. That's what inspired me to go ahead and write this entry; it's sort of a way of giving advice to myself. Here are a few things to remember when trying to create friendships:


1. Find someone that you can see yourself being really good friends with. This means not just the really popular girl that can give you a huge reputation, or the really good looking guy that you are trying to get close to. Pick someone that shares some of your intrests, seems like a genuinely nice/good person, and seems to want to share a relationship with you.


2. Don't be too picky. Once you start judging the people around you to fit a certain standard that you keep for the type of people that you want around you, people get turned off and you don't get any friends. As they say, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. 


3. Don't be too clingy. I don't know about you, but when someone CLEARLY wants to be my friend and is all over me, I get uncomfortable and purposefully avoid them. I mean that in, for instance, making me gifts, plopping yourself down next to me, butting in on some of my conversations with other friends, kissing up to me, etc. If you tend to do some of those things, it doesn't mean that you’re a bad person. In fact, it's the total opposite; you seem to care a little too much, and and if the other person isn't as enthusiastic as you, it does create quite a few ackward moments. 


4. Be who you are. I know that sometimes, if you don't feel that the person you are, will get you any friends of value, you may start to be fake, or be who you think others would like. When you do that, though, you've got to concider a few things. For one, you never get to enjoy being yourself; you constantly have to pretend to be this person that your "friends" have come to like. Another thing is that you don't really get to enjoy your friends the way that you should be able to. In fact, you may end up attracting people that you'd normally hate, for lack of a better word. 


5. Be honest. If there is something that you want to bring up about your way of life, such as your religion, certain moral codes that your family follows, so on and so forth, don't be afriad to say it. That way the other person can get a full understanding of what you're about.
6. Have fun. Friends make you feel good, and they should be there to help you to have a good time, so don't focus too much on taking control of the friendship; just live life to the fullest and happy blogging!


Love Always <3,
Katrina Lowell

No comments: