Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Are We Seriously In The Middle Of A Cane Field?

So on Sunday, after my mom had come home from doing some work at her job, my parents decided to have us take a drive down the country side of the island. So we drove and looked at the beautiful scenery on the East coast, took a drive down to the beach and everything. Great. Now, on our way home, we used this GPS app that my dad downloaded on his iPhone. So we're following it and suddenly, we are in the middle of a cane field. Sugar cane to be exact.

I was reading a book on a book reader, so I didn't really notice what was going on until my mom said, "oh my god." When I looked up, we were on a small trail surrounded by cane (which looks like overgrown corn stalks, by the way). I was in the middle of a horror novel as well, so that didn't help. I just kept remembering those horror scenes when people break down in the middle of nowhere and this guy that looks like a haunted scarecrow or something runs at you with a chainsaw; not very good thoughts at a time like that. So my mom is freaking out, saying she has to pee or that she's gonna puke, my dad is slowly driving the car, focusing on the road, my little brother is crying (I know, right?), and I'm laughing my head off. I don't know if it was a mixture of nervousness and how funny everyone else in the car was acting, but I was hysterical. My mom, then, started getting mad at me for laughing so hard in such a serious situation, mad at my brother for being so dramatic, and mad at my dad for (1) downloading the app, and (2) driving so slow. What happened next was so funny that I started to choke on air, I kid you not. My dad goes "wind down your window and pull in the side mirror." Now, it is night time in the middle on a cane field and my dad was worried about side mirrors getting damaged. My mom obviously refused, but then my dad started rolling down the window for her. My mom lost it. She goes, "You seriously want me to put my arm out of this car for someone or something to drag me through this window and attack me?" My dad and I laughed so hard. My poor mom was slowly going crazy.

We finally made it to a residential area and we all settled down, except for my mom. She said that her heart still wouldn't settle down. Wow...

Now, she is supposed to be blogging these funny stories as well, but hasn't gotten around to it, so I'll try to get her to blog her experience in this situation so that you can see it from her perspective. I'm sure it'll be hilarious...

Love Always <3,
Katrina Lowell

No comments: