Friday, September 30, 2011

September- Rebecca Black

Hey everyone! I know that I haven't been up-to-date with my Music Daily posts, but to get me back on track, I decided to go ahead and announce the Artist of the Month. This month's artist may seem very unlikely to you, but I've got good reasoning behind it. Rebecca Black, known famously for her viral video, "Friday", has been named my Artist of the Month.
Yes, I know, her voice is auto tuned, her songs need some work, and her journey to fame is quite confusing, but I don't really think that we are giving her enough credit. Heck, only last week I was being a true "hater", watching Glee and seeing that on their Prom episode that they covered the song. I sat there in disbelief, as well as quite a bit of disgust, as I listened to the lyrics. While I don't think that song writing is her quota, I don't think that it gives us the right to be rude.
You may have heard that she decided to leave her school not only due to the conflicting requirements of her dreams and the school district, but the fact that she was being bullied. She says that every time that they walked past her, they would ask her what day of the week it was (probably in response to these lyrics:
Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today i-is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today
Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after...wards
I don’t want this weekend to end), and singing the song mockingly towards her. 

Being a song writer myself, I know how hard that must have been to hear that your song sounds terrible to everyone else. I'm no Beyonce or Elton John, but I do think that my songs are good, and she must have thought the same of hers. That's why her parents paid thousands of dollars to a record label for them to not only record, produce, and promote "Friday", but to make a music video for it. So, as you can see, she was just following her dreams, and I truly don't see anything wrong with that and neither should you. 
We all know that the background music to it is pretty hot and nowadays, that's all that's needed for a good song; who cares about lyrics anyway? Look at "Hello" by Martin Solveig, for instance. I think that if we have anyone to "hate on", so to speak, for bad lyrics, it should be him, but the song makes you want to dance anyways. 
My ending points are these:
1. Don't hate, appreciate (in all forms of the phrase),
2. Glee can make ANY song sound like gold,
3. Rebecca, you go girl!
4. Martin Solveig needs to stick to DJ-ing,
5. I will resume Music Daily, I promise,
6. Happy Blogging!

























Love Always,
Katrina Lowell

No comments: