Sunday, July 8, 2012

7.8.11- Paramore "Playing God"

Hey Guys,

I just couldn't resist bringing back all the old blog sections, like "Journal of our Generation" and "Music Daily." Haven't you missed them? Anyhow, I wanted to kick things off with a song like "Playing God." This song  is so strong and kick- butt.

I love this song because it says everything that you could ever want to tell that one person that is always getting on you, putting you down, pointing out the small things in order to change you into who they want you to be. I think that everyone can relate to that one person and so I thought that this song was brilliant.

Yes, it's amazing, but here's where it gets a little... shameful; the song was written for Haley Williams' mom. Ouch! I mean, I could have sworn that she was talking about TMZ or some sort of person from the recording company that she works for, the people who are always nagging at her, telling her to change, but your mom? Maybe I can relate sometimes when I wish my mom would stop telling me that my clothes don't look good, or my style of hair looks wacky or something, but I understand that it's not out of malice, but honest concern. I know that some of my friends might say this to their moms, though, but maybe their situations have become so frustrating that the song truly fits there. Like, for instance, I had a friend a while back whose mom had them on an insane schedule; in one week, they practiced swimming, gymnastics, piano, dance, acting classes, modelling, etc. To top it off, they don't want to do all of these things, but I even witnessed the girl tell her mom that she really didn't enjoy doing these activities and her mom looked her in the eyes and said, "I honestly DO NOT CARE, you're going and that's final." Hey, to each their own, but if it were me in that situation, I wouldn't be able to be passive and work my butt off doing things that I really don't like to do.

The song, otherwise, has that rock edge and the music video is oh so funny. It reminds me of that TV show "Criminal Minds" where you find that peculiar serial killer who drugs people and ties them up in their garage, very like Haley Williams (LOL).

Well, I hope you enjoy the song, but not enough to go tell your mom to sit and listen carefully to it; that would be a HORRIBLE idea, okay guys. Be respectful to your parents :). Love ya mom ;)



Love Always <3,
Katrina Lowell

No comments: