Sunday, July 22, 2012

Beautiful- Chapter 8

I ran to the door, irritated as ever. I mean, you'd swear the kid got a hint, but calling me and then on top of it,  following me to my house?; I was livid! I angrily opened the door, ready to argue once again, but then I saw who it was; my dad.

"Hey kiddo. What's wrong with you?" My dad leaned against the door frame with a suspicious look on his face. I took a deep breath and tried to come up with a reasonable explanation for the mood that I was in besides telling him, "Yeah, I snuck out with this ex- druggie after school and we went to the park and I almost kissed him and then his girlfriend called and I spazzed out and then I stomped home and he called me and so I'm pissed." So I put on a more innocent face and said, "Oh, you know how those animal abuse ads get me. I'm just so angry at the... ill-treatment of that poor cat named... named uh, oh! Sally."My dad chuckled and shook his head. "Well, hun, get some sleep. Did you have dinner?" 
"No, but I kinda lost my appetite, so if anything, I'll make some toast." I smiled at my dad and he did his little "If you need anything, call me" speech before he got back into his cop car and sped down the road.

I locked back the door, ironed my clothes, took a long shower and went straight into my bed. Granted I lay there for a good hour before I actually fell asleep, thinking about what I was going to do tomorrow. I finally decided that he and I started too fast and that maybe we need to abolish those feeling that we created that night and just continue being friends, just like how we said we were going to be on the play set. Friends. Yep, that's just what we were going to be. The reality hurt, but in the end, I fell asleep and dreamed of us, holding hands the way we were and staring into a star dotted sky. It was obvious to me that "friendship" was going to be a little harder to acknowledge.

***

The next day Van came to my house early, waking me up actually. My mom wasn't there, so she either had a really long night or she left home early as well. I dragged myself out of bed and opened the door. There was Van, but this time she dragged in a mutt; Tony.

"What the heck, Van. You had to bring this loser to my house?" I grumbled. Tony walked in and gave me a cup of Starbucks coffee.
"Well, good morning to you, too. Van told me that you liked Starbucks, so on my way over to her house this morning, I stopped in and got everyone a cup." Then he winked at me and dropped his arrogant behind into one of our leather couches. I was honestly too tired to care.
"Okay, Kat. Come with me; I've gotta tell you something!" I then noticed that Van seemed a little brighter that morning. Instead of black eye shadow, she had a really nice green that complemented her green eyes. Then instead of her black studded combat boots, she was wearing a pair of blue converse. She was also wearing a pair of green skinny jeans and a white t-shirt with black writing that said "I <3 my BF :)." It was so disgusting how cute she looked. Before I could ask her why she was so... different this morning, she screamed "TONY ASKED ME OUT TO THE SCHOOL DANCE. AHHHHHH!!!!!" I stood there and cringed because hearing a teenage girl scream at the top of her lungs when you're half asleep is like getting teeth pulled without pain blockers; not cool. She started to go on and on about how he took her here and there and then gave her this and said that and then she said yes and blah. Blah. Blah. In the time that it took her to finish telling me this story, I had already put on my clothes, brushed my teeth and packed my bag for school. My phone beeped, so I took a quick glance and it read "9 messages from: Brey." I sighed, but took a look at the last one he sent which said, "Katrina, please at least meet me on the Grannel Street by the big Oak tree. I bought you something." I stared at it for a while and then replied with one word; "Fine." 

I had hardly remembered that Van was right behind me, talking about something, until she asked, "Isn't that great, Kat!" She gave me a big hug. "Oh, yeah, sure. Fantastic." Then she put on her usual big grin and held my hand like we were little second graders. Tony was now in my kitchen eating poptarts. "Okay, so are the girls ready?" I ignored him and pulled my backpack over my left shoulder and started putting on my purple and white zebra converse. Van opened the door and that's when I saw her outfit again.

"Van; is there any reason why you're dressed like a daffodil today? I mean, what happened?" She laughed and looked down at her outfit. Tony wrapped his arm around her waist and took a bite out of his Poptart.
"She's hot, uh?" He nearly choked on his crumbs as he said it. Van pat him on the back and walked up to me as I got up. She whispered in my ear, saying "Well, I wanted to look extra pretty for Tony today, so I said 'What The Heck!' let's try a new look Vanessa."

I was just turning around to lock the door and I almost dropped the keys. Within a matter of seconds, I grabbed Van, opened the door, dragged her in and rand behind her and locked Tony out. She looked at me like I was crazy. "What did you just call yourself?" I was so confused. I mean, was Tony drugging her or something, trying to now change her into a... a monster?
"Vanessa..." She sat down on the couch chair arm. I heard Tony bang on the door, upset that we were leaving him out.
"Van, what's gotten into you. I mean, in a matter of days you've changed. To be honest, I miss you the way you were before Tony." She got up, looking offended. Then she smirked and got close to me.
"I think you're jealous that you don't have Tony. Maybe he was right all along." I was confused.
"Right about what?" She shook her head.
"Tony tells me that you were madly in love with him and that you were always slipping love notes into his locker and trying to get with him, but when he chose me over you, you flipped out." I laughed, astonished at how big of a lie that was.
"Get out, 'Vanessa.'" I opened the door. She smirked.
"Yep he was right. I can't believe you. I thought you were my best fri-"
"Van, I rejected him, okay? He was obsessed with me and when I finally put him down he ran after you out of spite, so just leave it alone." I ran out the door and that's when I got the flashback...

***

I was back in the school gym and there was this eerie feeling that I wasn't alone. Just then I saw a figure sitting on one of the school bleachers, fiddling through their backpack after a basketball practice. As I got closer, I made out a girl; Katrina. I gasped and stood as still as ever. I walked a little closer, when the gymnasium door opened and Tony, about a year younger than he was now, ran in and sat down right next to me. Not the me that was watching all of this, but the other one. I sat quietly and listened in on their conversation;
"Hey Kitty-Kat Trina" Tony laughed at put his arm around my neck.
"What do you want, Tony. I'm getting ready to go home." He looked at me and kissed me, right there without asking questions or anything. I got up and wiped my mouth. My eyes started to fill with hot tears, tears of anger. 
"Why, Tony!" I got up and ran out of the gym. Myself now, I got up from my hiding spot and looked hard at Tony. He yelled my name, but then threw himself down on the bleachers and sat there, rubbing the back of his head, obviously disappointed in himself, but I didn't really care. I ran at him and slapped him as hard as I could, but then he disappeared and I was back on my street, my hand stinging and hot with pain.

***

Van ran off with Tony back to her house to go ice his face since I apparently slapped him extremely hard. She started crying and screaming at me, telling me that we were done being best friends and that I was a horrible person. I felt really bad, surprisingly. Usually I feel like justice was finally served and that I was on top, but this time it cost me my best friend and I didn't know what to do. 

I didn't realize how long I was just there, standing outside my house, staring down the road that Van and Tony went down. I didn't realize until I saw Brey walking up the same road.



STAY TUNED FOR MORE CHAPTERS BEING POSTED!


Love Always <3,

Katrina Lowell







No comments: