Sunday, January 29, 2012

Love is in the Air... I Must Be Immune...

So I have noticed lately, as you can tell from my previous post, that guys and girls have been really... akward around each other for a week or so and all the girls seem to be talking about is boys and likewise. What I don't get is why so suddenly it occurs. Sure, the topic has come up but now it's the main discussion point. Maybe Valentine's Day has gotten to everyone's head or perhaps the good ol' "Spring Fever" has come out to play early. Whatever it is, I'm missing out, big time.

Now, I'm not able to date, as I said before. In complete honesty, I don't quite get all the real harms in dating as a teen, but my parents feel that it's inappropriate and that I just can't do it. I've been in positions where I like a guy who likes me back, I mean, we're only human, no matter how old you are (especially in the teen years where hormones are racing like wild horses), but I always have to say no and move on. Of course I'm ALWAYS disappointed and I'm not sure if my mom knows when I've just had to turn down a guy because I won't talk to her for like a week, but besides that, I don't really feel... in love with anyone. I mean, what teenage boy could you ever fall in love with? They've got such fickle hearts and they don't even look good because they either have loads of acne or their personalities are just hideous in and of themselves. Either way, I don't get the hype at all and I'll explain why.

So you know how many times  this year I have been pulled aside in the mornings to be told that one of my friends really likes a guy and is talking to them and then the next day they start screaming and jumping up and down, saying that they are finally together? Am I missing a link? Okay, let me get this straight, you just decide to like this person and then, as they always do, they text you saying "let's be together" and you think that's so cute and charming and then you're together... Wow... Now, I'm not judging anyone because once upon a time I might have done the same thing, but I've seen a friend of mine get hurt very badly off of this same scenario and since then I vowed to not let that be me. I remember that he told her that she was his world and that he was so in love with her and all I remember was her always being with this guy who, to me, didn't look as interested in her as his texts described. Finally, after our winter break, she sees him locking arms with another girl and just walking past her saying that they were done. She was devastated and I don't think she has gotten over that just yet; you know, that was about two year ago. Luckily for me, I have a lot of respect for the male mind, especially in the teen years. They look at love like they do football; you've gotta play the field and eventually, you'll make a touchdown, do a dance, and move on. Therefore, in having this understanding, girls need to allow some room for an unfortunate event like a jerk face for a boyfriend. Granted I've never been in a relationship, so I don't know anything, but I'm sure I'm not too far from the truth. But girls, don't you find it odd that a guy expresses his love for you through a text when he sees you every day? Seriously, I would say no, even if I did like him, until he has the confidence to do it in person.

Now something that I suck at is rating people. You know when your friends tell you to rate someone on a scale of 1 to 10? When I rate, though, I don't quite know what to give the person because I look at people like this; everyone is seen off of two main things- looks and personality- and how you are seen upon those two things can get you either very far or not so far in life. Unlike most, I think that personality is at least worth over 95% of the overall person, leaving less that 5% for their good looks. That being said, I would rate upon two scales, add them, and then divide it by two. For instance, in rating... Joe Jonas, for example, I'd give him an 8 for good looks and most likely a 2.5 for personality. That's 10.5 out of 20, divide it by two and then Joe Jonas is a 5.25 out of 10. Sure, it's the geeky way of getting things done, but I like it; it's more accurate. Now, if someone's ugly, but their personality is amazing, I'd give them a 10 for personality and maybe even a 1 for looks, and they'd get a 5.5, still better than Joe Jonas, right? I'm sure half of you wont get it, but don't hurt your head; it's okay. Another thing I don't like is when guys ask you what you would give yourself. I am very confident about myself, so I'd maybe say a 9.5 (to be generous) with my looks and a 10 for personality, giving me a 9.75 out of 10. Good, huh? Only problem is that ya'll would probably call me an arrogant idiot afterwords, no matter how honest I'm truly being with myself. In any event, you can't really rate someone accurately; at the end of the day, the world is just a mere perception. Heck, once upon a time the world was perceived as flat! You never know what's on the other side of "reality," so why make such a big deal about it?

"Love" is such a strong, irritating word; I mean, love is JUST like hate. They are two extremes that are often used in such casual conversation. For example, I love those shoes or I hate  that drink. Really? Do those shoes really require the word "love"? Maybe you find them very nice and fashionable, but love? How about "hating" some sort of food. Maybe it doesn't please your tongue, but should you really hate it? Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I just think that "love" isn't in the right context with anyone in their teen years. I even hate hearing my friends saying it about their "boo"s. "Oh, I just LOVE him, he's the greatest guy ever!" "She's the LOVE of my life; I LOVE her..." blah. blah. bl...ah... It's not only disgusting, but it's just... NO! It sounds so weird. I would hate to be told that or to even find that coming out of my mouth. Now, friends say that they love each other. Before I get off the phone, we might say "Love ya!" and that's okay because girlfriends are like sisters to me, so in a family or friend sort of way, "love" is never too strong of a word, but when talking about a boyfriend or  whatever, it sounds terrible. Maybe you feel as if you love this person, but I don't know. I mean, after a week of going out you're in love? Give me a break, man. Maybe I'm missing something...

As you can see in the title, this is just MY opinion; I'm sure most of you wont agree, but that's okay, right? Let's not forget that little inexperienced me is on the outside looking in. For all I know, I'm talking a bunch of garbage and later on, when I start dating, I'll rethink my words, but as for now, I think I've gotten my point across. Love is in the air, but perhaps I'm immune to this love bug...

Love Always <3,
Katrina Lowell

No comments: